Monday 17 September 2012

WinToGo very quick initial thoughts...


I really like the idea of WinToGo so carried out some quick tests which highlighted a few interesting results I thought I’d take the time to quickly share.

Many technical notes explain how to create a two partition USB stick ready for WinToGo, on many machines a single partition stick works just fine, it depends on the BIOS format of the device. Booting from WinToGo does take 60 seconds more than booting from a locally installed Win8, but once booted performance on some USB 2.0 devices was fine, while on other (5 year old) PC USB 2.0 speed wasn’t usable.

The USB 3.0 machines tested have all shown adequate speed but I still need to complete some real world testing around performance.

What I did like was the idea of trying this on a HP thin client T610 2GB device. These devices out of the box attempt to boot from USB first to support flashing the onboard ROM, and have blue USB 3.0 ports on the rear. First attempt booting to WinToGo using the USB 3.0 port failed. So I booted into safe mode and disabled the option to create a page file on the local device internal drive. Next reboot worked, so I suspect the default write cache on the thin client was too small and amended this to 600MB which solved the problem.

What I don’t like is the idea of giving this to users for use on a home PC, which would require the user entering the PC BIOS and changing the boot order!

I hope to carry out some more testing across different PC and load up the full set of applications and enable hibernation mode (shutting down the WinToGo machine isn't very user friendly)

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I’m affected, I must say. terribly seldom do I encounter a journal that’s every instructive and amusing , and let pine State inform you, you've got got got hit the nail on the highest. Your set up is excellent; the matter is one issue that not enough people unit talking intelligently concerning. i am quite happy that I stumbled across this in my look for one issue concerning this.
    restore deleted email

    ReplyDelete